Do you want to go somewhere and take a break from the stress and monotony of life? Do you want to discover new paths as you travel? Do you love traveling on your own?
If your answer is yes, bike riding is an attractive option for you. No need to follow the fixed routes of bus and trains or sit in the cramped space of an airplane. Here are some guidelines to help you while you are bike–travelling. Get ready to go off the beaten track and have an amazing ride!
1. Choose the right bike:
This depends on where you are going and for how long. Simply buying an expensive bike won’t do. Keep in mind the terrain you will be traveling in, the surfaces you will encounter. For example, a budget friendly mountain bike may be best if you are going to travel in uneven, bumpy roads. Decide whether you are going for a few days or months.
Most importantly, make sure that you are comfortable with your bike. Aching joints can quickly take away the joy of a bike ride.
2. Pack light:
You don’t want to feel burdened while you are traveling. Additionally, you need to make sure that you are not putting pressure on your bike with all those bags. Carry only what you absolutely need, not what you want. If you are planning to camp somewhere, choose a lightweight camping gear.
It is advisable to fit in everything only into one bag. Be sure to include charges, power banks, bike locks and a bike maintenance kit.
3. Don’t push yourself too hard:
Plan the distance you will cover each day beforehand, but don’t push yourself over your limits too much. While mapping the distance, also keep in mind that bike traveling doesn’t literally mean continuous traveling. It is important to give yourself some rest during travel.
Besides, you won’t be able to eat while riding! And what is a use of traveling by road bike if you don’t take some time out to explore and enjoy your surroundings?
4. Take appropriate measures and be prepared
Keep your eyes and ears open while you travel. Before starting on your trip, study carefully the places you are traveling to and stay up-to-date for any news of crime and unrest in your traveling areas.
Also, it is essential to make sure that the brakes work and you don’t have a flat tire. Have knowledge about the bike you are traveling in. Would you be able to repair it if something went wrong with your bike and there is nobody to help you?
You can take your road bikes while traveling or may take your other type of bicycle. It’s not a matter. But before going for bike travel you have to check that your bike is working fine or not.
Pros of bike Travelling:
- You can go at your own pace without worrying about rushing to the station to catch a train or bus. You can rest and explore for as long as you want.
- When you are traveling with your own equipment, you don’t have to worry about costs. It is a very cheap way of traveling effectively.
- There may be days of tough weatherwith strong winds, heavy rain or scorching sunshine. These may make traveling quite frustrating and difficult.
- There is also the danger of your bike getting stolen. This may result in you getting stranded in unknown places.
Features of Bike Travelling:
- You get explore new places, meet new people, taste new food.
- There is no pollution while traveling.
- You get an experience of how to live independently and manage things on your own.
- It improves your health and fitness.
- You get to visit many places at once, at a low cost.
Your F.A.Q.s answered!
1. How do I prepare myself for bike travel?
Ride around on your bike for a few days before your trip to ensure your body gets used to riding a bike. Drink plenty of water while traveling.
1. Is bike traveling safely?
Absolutely. Bike travelers are seen as harmless. Strangers are quite willing to help riders during emergencies.
1. What should I keep in mind while bike traveling?
Wear a helmet. Don’t forget your passport (visa) if you are traveling inter-country. Keep your phone charged. Be polite to people you meet along the way.
This bike traveling is a great way to help you spend time with yourself and nature.
It may be tough in some cases, sometimes you may feel that it is better to travel taking the more traditional modes of travel, but if you want to live each moment of the journey and not only the destination, then bike traveling is the perfect choice for you. Get off the beaten track and discover things you would not otherwise have noticed.